Moving Schools Forward

In schools, change is slow.

change is goodMaybe it’s because we are all creatures of habit; perhaps it is because we believe the approach to teaching that feels most comfortable has to be the “best”; perhaps it is because education bureaucracy can be so thick at times, that change requires too much effort!  To me, the most likely reason for slow change is because we (teachers, administrators, parents) simply cannot visualize how it could be different!

Scott McLeod recently wrote a short blog making the point that, “Our mental models are the biggest barrier to moving schools forward into a digital, global era.”  I think he’s right.

Most of us (and I include myself here) don’t really know what a “21st  century classroom” actually looks like.  That’s because a true 21st century classroom is unlike anything we have seen before – our old mental models cannot comprehend what our classrooms could be!

So, the enthusiasts among us tread into uncharted territory.  We take the lead because there is no one to guide us.  We try new things and figure it out as we go along.  The results are sometimes messy, but that’s because we are the first … we are attempting things with our classrooms that have never been done before.

In many cases, the best that most of us can hope to create is some form of hybrid classroom, by pushing the 20th century classroom infrastructure to do more than it was designed to do.  All we really know for sure is that the way we have been “doing it” is not good enough any more for our modern world.

Needless to say, this is an exciting time to be a teacher.  Good luck out there!

Image Credit: tantek

04. May 2010 by Graham Whisen
Tags: , | 2 comments

Comments (2)