Learning in the 21st Century

This post is part of a #Peel21st community “blog hop” in which participants share their thinking on what learning in the 21st century means to them.  After reading this post, be sure to click the links to others’ posts at the bottom of the page, and make your way through all of the contributors.

Learning in the 21st century has one important focal point for  me:  Learning is (now, more than ever before) a lifelong endeavour.

Alvin Toffler is often quoted as stating, “the illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”  Although this is technically an adaptation from something that Toffler quoted from Herbert Gerjuoy (noted here), the phrase is nonetheless quite powerful.  Given the rapid rate of change  in our modern world, learning in the 21st century is, then,  the process of learning how to learn, adapt to new paradigms, shift our thinking, and adjust to unforeseen challenges.

Although I feel like there are a thousand more things I want to say to expand and articulate my vision, part of this blog hop challenge was to be brief, so I will leave it there for now.

Image Credit:  ConnectIrmeli

Pick a blog to jump to next!  Happy hopping!

18. November 2014 by Graham Whisen
Categories: Personal Reflection | Tags: , | 1 comment

One Comment